About American Paint Company's Clay/Chalk/Mineral Paint
Clay / Chalk / Mineral Base Paint is a 100% all natural product with no odors, Zero VOCs (toxic chemicals) and contains NO LATEX and NO ACRYLIC like traditional paints. In fact, the American Paint Company's Metallix metallic paint line is the only one on the market with NO VOCs or solvents.
Our key ingredient is Clay which makes the paint thicker. Our customers love the thicker paint because it covers the furniture well. Plus, the clay paint is easy to work with and distresses nicely. (No chipping or peeling like most latex brands.)
How do I use the paint?
One of the best parts about APC paint is it requires little to no preparation when painting your furniture and home decor. There’s no sanding, stripping or priming necessary!
There are three basic steps to using Clay/Chalk/Mineral based paint.
- PAINT – Use one color, two colors, or as many as you would like!
- DISTRESS (optional)- Rub off the clay paint around the edges or detailed areas to reveal the base color and create the popular antique finish.
- SEAL – Use APC’s Vintage Antiquing Wax, or durable liquid Top Coat to seal your project.
OPTIONAL Step 4 – Add on some embellishments such as MICA Powder, Plaster, Metallix paint, or Glaze (stain) to finish your project.
How many different colors are there? 46 Colors!
American Paint Company has different color collections making up dozens of trending colors to choose from.
TRIED & TRUE COLLECTION: This collection of paint (most popular) has been loved by our customers for years, making them the Tried and True Collection.
BOLD & BEAUTIFUL COLLECTION: This limited edition line of 9 vibrant colors are new and rich in color. The most popular of colors in this
QUARTS: The Tried & True collection are available in the large 32 oz. Quart Cans.
PINTS: Only the special collections such as the Bold & Beautiful Collection are available in the 16 oz. Pint Cans.
POTS: All paint colors and collections are available in the small 4oz. Pots.
How far does a can of paint go?
A Quart can is recommended for larger projects and the 4oz. pot is recommended for smaller projects or to test out a color.
- Approximate coverage depends on absorbency and texture of surface. You may also mix the paint with water (without effecting the color pigments) for more coverage.
- Quart coverage is approx. 75 square feet and the 4oz. pot coverage is approx. 10 square feet.
What type of surfaces can I paint on?
The paint will adhere to any surface such as wood, brick, plastic, glass, terracotta, fabric and more.
However, the paint adheres differently to each surface, so be sure and play around with the paint on different types of surfaces until you are familiar with them.